Prototypes and Insecurities

Thursday, June 4, 2015

I’m just now coming out of somewhat of a knitting dry spell. For about 3 weeks I found just about everything else more interesting than my knitting project (a prototype of sorts for a squishy lightweight scarf). It’s finished now, and looking over my notes I can’t believe any one is able knit anything from my instructions, ever. I find it so tricky to explain the knitting process clearly. 

Je viens tout juste de sortir d’une période pendant laquelle je me suis intéressée à tout sauf mon projet de  tricot, ce qui a fait en sorte que je n’ai touché à ni laine ni aiguille pour plus de trois semaines. Le projet est un prototype pour un nouveau model, une écharpe légère mais moelleuse, composée de point mousse, d’œillets encadrés de côtes.

Right now my issue is describing knitting twisted ribbing knitted flat while working gin some increases. I’m never quite sure what to expect a knitter to know what goes without saying (for me!) and when to write out each and every stitch. Should I be literal to the nth degree? Will they know what I mean if I just say “continue in pattern while increasing every other row”? Sometimes I think explaining pattern directions in a video would take a fraction of the time it takes me to write them out and agonize over them. 

Ça devrait être simple à décrire, non? En fait, pas du tout. En relisant mes notes je constate que c’est plus ou moins miraculeux que les gens réussissent à lire et exécuter mes patrons. Je ne sais jamais quand donner des directives explicites rang par rang, maille par maille, et quand prendre pour acquis que mon auditoire a bien saisi et peut très bien sans sortir sans mes directives inutiles.
I fear leading fellow knitters to frustration so much that it sometimes keeps me from checking Ravelry to see the projects. I’m not afraid of criticism so much as the possibility I might not be able to make it better. So far so good, but my goodness the trepidation! Your time and yarn are precious and this fear that I may lead anyone to waste their time and resources is really holding me back.  I know I should have an easier time than this describing a scarf of garter stitch eyelets framed in a bit of ribbing, right? Sorry for the whine.  I should probably just take a course already. Anyway, I just cast on for Prototype 2.0 with some slight tweaks, and I’m feeling a bit more optimistic this time around that I might be able to explain it clearly and concisely. Unlike this blog post!

Je pense parfois que ce serait plus facile et bien plus rapide de donner les directives par vidéo que de les écrire (et d’ensuite m’angoisser, craignant que je mal décris le tout et vous mène vers l’échec total!). Votre temps et vos ressources sont précieuses et j’ai si peur de vous décevoir que j’évite parfois de découvrir vos projets sur Ravelry. C’est moins les critiques qui m’angoissent que la chance que je n’arriverai pas à résoudre le problème. Je dirais que jusqu'ici, tout va bien mais bien sûr que je m’angoisse pareil. En tout cas, je viens de commencer une deuxième version du prototype et je garde espoir que j’arriverai à écrire un patron clair et concis. Contrairement à ce blog :p


© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.