Je prends du retard!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

I was wracking my brain for a gift idea for my grandma's birthday a few months ago. My mom, who wears her green Swallowtail shawl pretty often, hinted that my grandma has made many a comment about it and that she would likely love one of her own. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to strike Isolda Teague's Ishbel off my to-do list and to swatch a special skein I'd been saving especially for Gran.
My skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk, luckily, was in the same colour range as the Swallowtail I knit for mom. I'd hoped the Sea Silk would feel luxurious both for my hands while I knit, and eventually around my gran's neck. Sadly though, I’m not 100% in love with Sea silk. I think I’ve come to realize that I’m more of a spongy-wool-yarn knitter than a drapey-silk-yarn knitter, it that makes any sense. But Gran is always warm and avoids turtlenecks for this very reason, so I think this cooler fiber will suit her well.
The greens and yellows knit together create the most iridescent fabric! Now if only I'd knit it in time for her birthday - in AUGUST. Express post it is!

Ma mère, qui porte souvent son Swallowtail Shawl, a laissé sous-entendre que ma grand-mère en aimerais bien un elle aussi. Même taille, même couleur. Bon. Ce n'est pas que j'ai trouvé le Swallowtail moins qu'agréable à tricoter, en fait je me suis bien amusée à faire les petites boules dans la section dentelle. Par contre, tricoter le même patron, avec la même laine une deuxième fois en un an ne me donnait pas vraiment le goût de me mettre au travail tout de suite. J'ai plutôt choisi le fameux châle Ishbel de Isolda Teague et la laine Sea Silk de Handmaiden pour faire du nouveau.Quoique je n'aime pas trop la texture glissante de la soie, ni sa température plutôt froide, ma grand-mère déteste les cols roulés et a souvent chaud alors j'espère que ce choix de laine fera sont affaire. En ce qui concerne la couleur, je pense qu'elle sera ravie - c'est un vert qui brille au soleil et qui garde sa lueur à l'intérieur - j'adore! Si seulement je l'avais tricoté à temps pour son anniversaire - au mois d'aout! Oups. Heureusement qu'elle est aussi patiente qu'elle est belle, ma grand-mère :)
Unknown said...

Oh, this is just beautiful! I'm sure she'll love it!

Chantal Boucher said...

Il est vraiment joli ce châle! Tu nous offriras une photo avec elle le portant, qu'en dis-tu?

gingembre said...

très beau fil et ce châle est ravissant

© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.