Oh Bébé!

Tuesday, January 30, 2018


It's pretty obvious that my projects have had a common baby theme lately, and honestly it’s been absolutely delightful.  As usual I planned for many more projects than I had time to complete before sending off the care package. I’ve already shared the Koigu Blanket, next was a cotton-bamboo garter stitch cardigan. The pattern is the Garter Stitch Jacket from The Debbie Bliss book Quick Baby Knits. I purchased it in university about 16 years ago and it’s still my go-to book for sweaters and booties! It’s times like these that I’m so grateful  to have such a well-stocked knitting library. Although I’ll enjoy the occasional ebook, nothing compares to curling up in a chair with a cup of tea to browse glossy paper images of beautiful knits. Debbie Bliss publications have always featured such gorgeous baby and children photography and the classic patterns make the books rather immune to the passing years. Quick Baby Knits is now out of print, but if you keep an eye out for a used copy you should be able to pick it up for a bargain. There are also a slew of excellent current Debbie Bliss baby and children pattern books and I've found her designs for kids to be reliably great. I'm waiting to find out the baby's gender before starting the next project, but I'm tempted to cast on for these little moccasins anyway:

Difficile à nier que mon bricolage à un thème évident ces derniers mois… mais je trouve tous ces projets pour bébés complètement irrésistibles! J'ai déjà partagé la doudoue Koigu, ensuite j'ai tricoté une petite veste en point mousse. Le patron provient du livre Quick Baby Knits de Debbie Bliss. C'est un livre de 1999 mais honnêtement il aurait pu être publié hier tant les designs sont classiques. En fait je trouve tous les patrons pour enfants de Debbie Bliss très réussis! Je me réjouis beaucoup ces temps-ci d'avoir une bibliothèque si bien nantie. J'aime bien les publications numériques mais j'adore tellement passé une heure sur le canapé avec une tasse de thé et quelques livres de patrons bien illustrés. Quick Baby knits est épuisé mais il est surement disponible d'occasion pour seulement quelques dollars. En fait, Debbie Bliss a publié plus d'une douzaine de livres de patrons pour enfants et les designs sont tous intemporels, ce serait difficile d'être déçu! J'attends d'apprendre le sexe du bébé avant de commencer le prochain projet, mais je suis tentée de commencer ces petits mocassins tout de suite:



Image coryright 2009 Ebury Press



Pretty cute, eh? Although this will be a Brisbane baby so maybe the booties would be overly warm even in winter… any Aussies out there willing to chime in? I'd love to know what kind of baby knits would be ideal.

Puisque Bébé vivra à Brisbane, j'imagine qu'il fera peut être trop chaud pour des bottines, même l’hiver… Y a t-il des Australiens qui me lisent? J'aimerais bien vos conseils!

Despite a well-stocked bookcase, I don't know of a single knitter that doesn't love to discover new classics and support independent designers. And The New Kid by Kathryn Folkerth has “Classic” written all over it! I knit the sweater in a heavy worsted weight (the beloved and bewilderingly discontinued Rowan All-Seasons Cotton), so it was a relatively fast knit. At least it would have been speedier if I had paid better attention while knitting that delicious cabled border. Instead, I watched Victoria and Abdul. Somewhere during the movie I managed to forget the order of the cables and that’s where my problems started. A few days later I forgot the interval of pick up stitches. And then managed to flip the cables again! So the finished product is a bit wonky and I’m asking you not to look too closely at the cables nor the sweater’s asymmetrical… charm :)

Malgré ma collection de livre j'aime autant découvrir du nouveau et appuyez des designers indépendant. Dès que j'ai vu le design The New Kid de Kathryn Folkerth j'ai su toite de suite que le patron serait ajouté à ma rotation habituelle de tricots pour bébés! Je l'ai tricoté avec le fil All Seasons Cotton de Rowan, celui-ci étant malheureusement abandonné par la compagnie il y a plusieurs années. J'aurais terminé la veste bien plus rapidement si j'avais prêté attention à la bordure et le bon ordre des torsades. J'ai plutôt écouté le film Victoria et Abdul et vite et perdu le fil des directives! Je vous prie d'ignorer le manque d’ordre et de symétrie à la bordure, dorénavant je tenterai de me souvenir que les torsades et la télé doivent parfois être appréciées séparément :)






I finished off the package with a hand-sewed a mobile, aiming for a dreamy, whimsical feel. My sister has always loved hot air balloons - we grew up in a town that hosts one of North America's largest balloon festivals! I didn't have a pattern so to figure out how to make the balloon shape I cut out pieces of paper and taped them together to create a three-dimensional shape that I liked before reproducing it with felt and fabric. The mobile's arms are made from a wooden embroidery hoop that I sliced and painted white. I totally failed to weigh each decoration in advance, and if I had one tip it would be to consider how each piece will need to be counterbalances perfectly. I ended up having to adjust my stuffing and place little weights in my clouds to get the mobile to balance properly. The fiddliness could have been avoided by carefully weighing the pieces as I made them. But I'm happy with the result! It’s made me think of making a mobile for my home office, which could use a bit of whimsy!

Le dernier cadeau à être ajouté au colis était un mobile que j’ai fabriqué à partir de tissu et de feutre. Ayant grandi près d’un des plus importants festivals de montgolfières (il était l'hôte pour la première fois en Amérique du Nord du Championnat du monde de dirigeables à air chaud!), ma soeur (et moi aussi d’ailleurs!) les aime beaucoup. Sans patron, j’ai dû construire une petite maquette en papier pour envisager comment créer un ballon à partir de pièces de feutre, et ça m’a pris quelques essais. Le support consiste d’un anneau de bois conçu pour la broderie, que j’ai coupé en deux et peinturé. Ca peut sembler évident, mais je n’ai pas pensé à pespe chaque nuage à fur et à mesure pour assurer un équilibre, et c’était une grave erreur! Finalement j’ai dû modifier le molleton et ajouter des petits poids à l’intérieur de certains nuages pour rétablir l’équilibre. Heureusement que ça a fonctionné! Je songe maintenant à construire un mobile pour mon bureau, qui profiterais bien d’un brin de fantaisie!




Anonymous said...

These are all so lovely!! I just found your blog by seeing your "Knitters of the World" segment in the Fruity Knitting podcast. Beautiful work!! --Kat

© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.