GRATEFUL FOR... COUPS DE COEUR

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My new-to-me (bone?) crochet hooks from Southworks

I really liked putting my last Grateful For post into words so I think I’m just going to keep going with it!

Since M and I moved to Cambridge 12 years ago, we’ve tried to explore the city’s three centers (Hespeler, Preston and Galt) and appreciate as much of it as possible. Still, as relatively small and quaint as Cambridge might seem, there are many venues I’ve yet to visit. It isn’t from lack of time or interest, but rather because one very special place keeps drawing me back over and over again, hogging all of my days off when I was a grad student and stealing many of our free evenings now.  Southworks Antiques is one of the country’s largest antique centers, with over 30,000 sq of really, really awesome old stuff to explore.

Depuis qu’on s’est installés à Cambridge il y a 12 ans, j’ai beau eu tenté d’explorer les trois centre-villes (Hespeler, Preston et Galt) mais j’ai l’habitude à toujours retourner aux mêmes endroits. Et mon endroit préféré, celui sans lequel je suis convaincue qu’on ne serait pas restés dans les parages si longtemps, est le marché d’antiquités Southworks Antiques. À plus de 30,000 pieds carrés, c’est un des centres d’antiquités les plus gros au pays. 





 I don’t remember much about our first visit other than the stark realisation that 1) two hours wasn’t nearly enough time for me to make a complete tour of the place, and 2) that they ought to charge admission. Because it really is like a museum, only one that, for the most part, you can TOUCH all you want. And boy does this gal appreciate petting Victorian and Edwardian gowns, Scottish wool blankets, retro shearlings, century-old books and mohair teddy bears. For the photography buff there are cameras galore, historical documents, hardwood furniture, amazing daguerreotypes and stereoscopes. M loves the old coins and military regalia. The staff are very patient, especially considering I love to photograph but rarely buy.

Je ne me souviens pas très bien de ma première visite, sauf pour la réalisation choquante que deux heures n’était pas suffisamment de temps pour faire un tour complet du marché et que j’aurais accepté avec plaisir de payer pour entrer puisque l’expérience était si semblable à celle d’un musée (sauf qu’ici, bien sûr, on peut toucher!). J’adore les anciennes robes et les accessoires désuets, les vieux livres, affiches fétiches, appareils photos et daguerréotypes. Le monsieur raffole des reliques militaires et des anciennes pièces de monnaie. Le personnel est patient en plus, surtout que je préfère photographier qu’acheter.





There are a good few other centres like this in the region, but I’m partial to Southworks… Partly because it’s so nearby, and partly because it helped me fall in love with Cambridge when I first found some of its industrial landscapes a bit overwhelming. I know that set designers make the trek out to Southworks from Toronto to get genuine vintage and antique décor so it’s a good bet that if you’re in the area you’ll get a kick out of it too. I mean, it’s educational and trippy and free!

Il y a plusieurs autres marchés semblables dans la région, mais Southworks tiens un petit (gros) coin privilégier dans mon cœur. Je serai toujours reconnaissante pour cette merveille remplie d’histoire parmi les nombreux champs et usines industriels de la ville. Et si les concepteurs de décor pour plusieurs émissions de télé trouvent que ça vaut le voyage de Toronto, j’imagine que si vous êtes dans le coin vous y trouverez aussi quelque chose de spécial… si ce n’est qu’un après-midi enrichissant.



I think this is what they call a repeat customer.

Come here often? heh-heh.
© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.