Framboise

Sunday, March 22, 2015


 A baby blanket aptly named "Shawl"

The last time I cast on for a baby blanket I threw in the towel after it took me too many weeks to knit what looked like just a few inches. I cast on for Pebble instead and loved the instant gratification of baby garments so much I pretty much vowed to avoid knitting blankets from now on. But looking back, that abandoned blanket was made of fingering-weight cotton (this tight-knitter’s nemesis), and was probably knit on the bamboo interchangeable I was using at the time. I’ve had this sweater’s worth of washable raspberry wool/silk yarn for longer than I’d care to admit and thought it could make a posh baby blanket for a really special baby, one whose mama I’ve looked up to since I was pretty tiny:

La dernière fois que j’ai tenté de tricoter une couverture pour bébé j’ai tout abandonné après que plusieurs jours de travail n’avaient produit que quelques centimètres de progrès. J’ai plutôt choisi de tricoter une petite veste Pebble et après une telle satisfaction instantanée, difficile de revenir aux couvertures… Pourtant, cette couverture abandonnée avait été tricoté de coton (que je déteste!) sur des aiguilles de bambou (trop adhérentes) alors je me suis décidée en début d’année que j’essayerais de nouveau. J’avais 10 pelottes de Naturally Merino et Soie dans un rose framboise et une chère amie de famille qui attendait une petite fille. Cette nouvelle maman me cajolais lorsque j’étais moi-même toute petite :

Recipient is on the left, I'm in the yellow. 

So I cast on for a blanket pattern I’ve admired for some time now, the baby Shawl from Debbie Bliss’ Special Knits: 22 Gorgeous Handknits for Babies and Toddlers. Side note: if you get a chance to see the original pattern photos from the book, be ready to melt – the photos are exquisitely sweet. I used a thicker yarn than suggested, 7 skeins of Naturally Merino et Soie in a glorious raspberry shade that proved to be really hard to photograph. I went up to US 6 needles and knit the main body of the blanket until it was more or less square before casting off.

J’ai choisis un modèle que j’admire depuis longtemps, le Shawl du livre Special Knits: 22 Gorgeous Handknits for Babies and Toddlers de Debbie Bliss. La photographie originale du patron - un bébé endormi sous cette couverture- était si irrésistible que j’ai acheté le livre sur le champ. J’ai tricoté la section principale sur des aiguilles de 3.75mm jusqu’à ce qu’elle soit plus ou moins carrée.




A number of the Ravelry baby Shawl project pages showed blankets without the border, and I don’t blame the knitters for skipping this last step them. The thought of knitting a long border separately once I’d finally finished knitting the body of the blanket was kind of discouraging… But it’s such a key feature of the design there was no way I’d leave it behind. One knitter attached the border as she went along by ending her border rows with a SSK that attached to the body of the blanket. I only opted out of that modification because after carrying the blanket everywhere with me I looked forward to replacing it with a tiny project bag for the border. Looking back, I probably should have gone the SSK route for a stronger seam and speedier attachment.

En lisant les notes des tricoteuses qui avaient déjà réalisé ce modèle j’ai compris pourquoi plusieurs ont choisi d’omettre la bordure. C’est beaucoup de travail lorsqu’on croyait avoir presque terminé! Une tricoteuse brillante a attaché la bordure à fur et à mesure avec des GGT. C’est ce que j’aurais dû faire, mais j’en avais marre d’apporter cette couverture tout partout et l’idée d’apporter seulement que la bordure était trop attrayante.



After blocking, it was harder to see what exactly made this specifically a baby shawl/blanket. Seems to me it would make a pretty great shawl for grownups, too. I’m awfully tempted to knit one for myself, making it a smidge larger still. I’m also going to browse the thousands of baby blanket patterns out there with a different eye, envisioning how they could be worn as a shawl if knit square. I have a feeling my project queue is about to explode with the possibilities!

Une fois le blocage terminé, c’était clair que le modèle pourrait être adapté pour adultes – évidemment je l’ai tout de suite imaginé comme châle pour femmes et je suis bien tentée de m’en tricoter un semblable. En fait, je pense que je vais parcourir les milliers de modèles de couvertures pour bébé pour voir lesquels se prêteraient à devenir des châles carrés! 


© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.