Never season appropriate...

Monday, June 23, 2014

I’m a sucker for those British knitting magazines, the ones enclosed with some bonus trinket in a plastic sleeve, particularly if the toy is some cheapie whimsical trinket like a cute measuring tape or a cutesy container of darning needles. Include wooden tools and I’m a goner. The Let's Knit! Magazine 75 (January 2014) issue came with TWO goodies: a pair of 10” size US13 of dark-toned bamboo needles and a booklet of bulky-gauge patterns to knit using the needles provided. Most of the patterns from the booklet aren’t on Ravelry, but if they were I’d have queue nearly all of them, including a pair of simple slippers that would be perfect for bits of handspun. My favourite pattern of the bunch is Florentine, a cozy oversized sweater with an even more oversized collar designed by Martin Storey, which was originally published in Easy Winter Knits. A very helpful raveler noticed that the bonus booklet version of the pattern contained errors (thanks Sheela!), so I decided to ignore much of the instructions and make a number of modifications from the get go.

J’ai une véritable faiblesse pour ces revues britanniques qui sont emballées avec une jolie bagatelle quelconque. Je n’ai clairement pu résister la revue Let's Knit! de janvier, elle qui comptait DEUX cadeaux, une jolie paire d’aiguilles de bamboo foncé 9mm et un pamphlet de patrons pour laine dodue. Dommage que la plupart des patrons ne se trouvent pas sur Ravelry, il y en a tant qui me tentent… Mon modèle préféré s’agit d’une grosse veste avec un col énorme (tout comme je les aime!), un design de Martin Storey qui a originalement paru dans le pamphlet Easy Winter Knits de Rowan. Il y a des erreurs dans la version inclue avec la revue Let’s Knit, alors je me suis permise plusieurs modifications au patron dès le début.


Since I don’t have any yarn anywhere as bulky the recommended Rowan Drift, I used the suggested US13 needles to cast on some long-discontinued Rowanspun Aran holding two strands together. This was still a much smaller gauge than the recommended 9 stitches / 4 inches so I knit a modified version of the large size while also adding about 30% in length (I lengthened the ribbing, the body and widened the collar considerably). I also swapped the drop-shoulder flat-knit sleeve for a top-down, short row sleeve, and made larger pockets that I could actually sink my hands into.

J’ai utilisé les aiguilles 9mm et une laine aran (tricotée en tenant deux fils ensemble pour imiter une laine plus dodue) et suivit les directives de la taille large tout en ajoutant de la longueur au torse, aux manches, et au col. J’ai modifié la construction des manches (tant bien que mal) afin qu’elles soient tricotées en rond et un peu plus étroite et élargit les poches pour que je puisse y foncer les mains plus confortablement.


To liven up all of that stockinette fabric I found some leftover handspun to make a duplicate stitch motif of arrows/chevrons. It might have been neater if I’d taken the time to sketch out a design, or even to aim for a bit or balance or symmetry by counting my stitches, but I can’t resist improvising.

J’ai voulu ajouter un peu d’intérêt à tous ces rangs de jersey alors j’ai pigé quelques bouts de fil filés au rouet pour broder un motif de flèches improvisé. Le Monsieur n’est pas convaincu, mais je pense que c’était une bonne idée, sinon une occasion pour pratiquer le “duplicate stitch”. 



Latest Instagrams

© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.