December - Décembre 2010

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I’m not sure why I’ve put off writing this post for so long. Maybe it’s because of my semi-comatose state caused by all the left-over sweets from the holidays, or maybe it’s because of the current weather (Ice rain. Blergh.) Anyway, here are the projects that kept me busy in December:


The first is an improvisation of Sarah Hattons’ Unisex Scarf. I had the best intentions to knit the Mister the full length scarf, but I came to my senses a few days before Christmas, there just wasn't enough time left. So I doubled the Patons Classic Wool, increased the needle size to US9, and the minute the scarf was long enough to wrap comfortably around the neck, I worked 7 buttonholes and cast off. And true to my usual harebrained knitting, I failed to count the buttons I had until after I'd cast off! Thankfully I found 7 usable metal buttons from a jacket I was about to discard and I think they work quite well!
(rav link to project)

The second project is an alpaca-silk shawl, from Orlane’s famous Textured shawl recipe. This was originally going to be for me, at least that’s what I thought when I bought the yarn for it (Earth Collection Mainland), but as I knit I realized that unlike many of my projects, this shawl was turning out well enough to gift to someone and finished it with my mom in mind instead.


The third and last December project isn’t knitted. My grandmother requested a green apron for Christmas, so I followed Lotta Jansdotter’s reversible apron pattern in her book Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects. While one side is green, as requested, I had a ton of fun creating the patchwork side!


The next project will be for me, a shawl I’m close to casting off that reminds me of polka dots and cream soda :)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Voici sans tarder les projets qui m’ont gardé occupée en décembre : 

Le premier projet est une improvisation du patron Unisex Scarf de Sarah Hatton. J’avais les meilleures intentions de tricoter une longue écharpe pour le Monsieur lorsque j’ai dû admettre que ce serait impossible à accomplir avant Noël. Alors j’ai tricoté la laine Patons Classic Wool deux fils à la fois avec de plus grosses aiguilles (5.5mm) et lorsque la longueur était suffisante pour faire le tour du cou, j’ai crée 7 boutonnières. Espèce d’imbécile, je n’ai compté mes boutons qu’après avoir terminé le col, mais heureusement j’ai pu recycler de vieux boutons en métal d’une veste que j’allais jeter.


Le deuxième est un châle qui devait être pour moi, mais qui m’a de plus en plus charmé jusqu’à ce que je l’ai estimé trop spécial pour mes épaules alors je l’ai terminé en pensant à son éventuel récipiendaire, ma chère maman :) Le patron est le Textured shawl recipe de Orlane, qui est aussi simple qu’il est brillant. La laine est le Earth Collection Mainland, un mélange somptueux d’alpaga et de soie. Il me semble le châle idéale pour de la lecture sur le divan avec une tasse de thé, je considère fortement en tricoter un deuxième!


Le troisième projet n’est pas du tricot, mais j’en suis un peu fière alors je l’affiche ici également. Ma grand-mère maternelle m’avait demandé un tablier vert pour Noël, préférablement fait à la main. Celui que je lui ai offert est réversible, avec un côté vert tel que demandé, mais l’autre est une mosaïque de plusieurs de mes tissus préférés. Le patron provient du livre Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects de Lotta Jansdotter.



Brendaknits said...

What wonderful projects. Your buttoned version of the scarf is better than the original. The textured shawl has been speaking to me for a while. Yours isgreat. And the apron! Just lovely.

© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.